With summer hitting its peak Justin and I trying very hard to soak up the sunshine and plan activities to take in all of summer that we can. I thought it would be fun to make a list of dates/activities and share them with you all!
- Pack a picnic, grab a couple of hammocks and some bug spray and set up shop by the Catawba River. There are so many great spots to just sit and relax and listen to the rapids. There is one spot in particular about a quarter of a mile from The Pump House where you can dip your toes in the crystal clear water to cool off. I highly recommend waiting until about 6:30 in the evening when it starts to cool off a bit!
- Just a short 30 minute drive from Charlotte is Crowders Mountain. When I first moved the Carolinas from South Florida seeing that mountain for the first time was so cool. And it was so close! There are multiple trails on Crowder’s so pick one for your preferred activity level. The hardest one is about 4.5-5 miles roundtrip. Hike crowders mountain run home, grab a shower and then go to Cajun queen for brunch. Seriously, their Bourbon French toast and Crab Cakes Benedict are SO good.
- Try a new recipe together – my favorite thing to make for a date night together is homemade pasta. Here’s a great recipe by Self Proclaimed Foodie with a video https://selfproclaimedfoodie.com/homemade-pasta/ . It really is simple if you have a pasta machine! Oh, and the flavor is so so good. If you don’t want to invest in a pasta machine (they’re around $25 – worth it!) buy a box of your favorite pasta! Spend the afternoon/evening sipping on good wine, eating crusty bread and listening to light music together – put your phones away (unless you are looking at the recipe!! Lol) and just hang out together!
- Set up your yard for an outdoor movie. Find an outlet and plug in your tv, plop and inflatable mattress outside with a bunch of cozy pillows and watch a movie under the stars. We haven’t done this one yet but it’s definitely on the to-do list.
- Head over to Barcelona Wine Bar. Get there early enough or make a reservation to beat the crowds! My favorites are the Patatas Bravas, Potato Tortilla, Albóndigas and Pork Belly. And if they have the Trout – definitely order that too! The atmosphere is intimate, and the service is fantastic. If you get there early enough (I am talking 5 pm people!) you can get home in time to unplug and play some board games together!
- Take a skillpop class together – Skillpop has launched their Skillpop Anywhere series and it is such a great idea. I have loved every Skillpop class I have taken! Some of the classes on the schedule right now are: Patio Farming Basics, Wine Essentials, Home Bartending Basics and At Home Coffee Essentials
- Lastly, if you have time head on over to Blowing Rock for the day. Rough Ridge is a 2 mile hike that is pretty strenuous but SO fun. And the views are to die for! Then head over to downtown Blowing Rock and order a local brew to cool off! It’s a 2 hour drive each way (from Fort Mill) so definitely something that can be done in a day!
I hope you try these out and have a great time! If you try and of these ideas I’d love to know how it went! 😊